Mayor’s Challenge to Prevent Suicide Among Service Members, Veterans, and their Families
- Build an interagency military and civilian team of leaders who will develop and implement a strategic action plan to prevent and reduce suicide attempts and completions at the local level.
- Acquire a deeper familiarity with the issues surrounding suicide prevention for service members, veterans, and their families (SMVF)
- Increase knowledge about the challenges and lessons learned in implementing strategies by utilizing city-to-city sharing.
- Employ promising, best, and evidence-based practices to prevent and reduce suicide attempts and completions at the local level.
- Define and measure success, including defining assignments, deadlines, and measurable outcomes to be reported.
Helena Mayor’s Challenge Strategies
- Military cultural competency via the PsychArmor Institute
- Peer-to-peer support
- Lethal means/ crisis intercept mapping
- Bolstering the Montana 211 Website and resource line
MONTANA TEAM – Helena & Billings
Lewis & Clark Public Health, Riverstone Health, MT-DPHHS, MT Army National Guard, Cities of Helena & Billings, South Central Regional Mental Health Center, MT VA, Billings & Helena Vet Center, East Helena Public Schools, Center for Mental Health, Military OneSource, Helena Job Service, Volunteers of America, NAMI, St. Peter’s Health