Are you ready to take the challenge?
Join the movement to become a member of our Military Strong community by participating in this annual campaign!
This free online program teaches civilians to understand and provide support to the thousands of Veterans and service members who call Lewis and Clark, Broadwater and Jefferson County home. The training can be completed in 45 – 90 minutes depending on the training track.
You can choose one of the following tracks:
- Introduction to Supporting Military Kids in Schools (42 minutes)
- Healthcare: The Basics (1 hour 26 minutes)
- Faith Based- The Basics of Working with Veterans (1 hour 26 minutes)
- Law Enforcement- The Basics of Working with Veterans (1 hour 6 minutes)
The goal of the challenge is to build the community’s awareness about the unique needs of service members, veterans, and their families while empowering everyone to be more supportive of those who serve. Military Strong also aims to prevent suicide among this population.
Nationwide, nearly 20 veterans, active-duty service members, and reservists die by suicide every day. In Montana, more than 50 take their lives in a typical year. We also know that the majority do not receive services at the VA. It’s time for all of us to answer the call to help our neighbors and become a Military Strong region.
What is “Military Strong?”
Through Dec. 31, 2022, businesses, schools, government offices, and many other organizations in the tri-county area (Jefferson, Broadwater and Lewis and Clark Counties) will challenge each other to become Military Strong by taking five free online courses and then referring other agencies to do the same. The program started in May 2019, and has trained more than 1,000 people and 60 agencies.
Created by PsychArmor, each courses within the tracks are 15 – 25 minutes long and will educate you and your staff to better understand military culture.
To qualify as Military Strong, your organization must have 50 percent of your staff members complete the online training. You can refer other organizations to participate at any point in the challenge, but we do ask you to choose at least two.
Please direct questions to Jess Hegstrom, the Lewis and Clark Public Health suicide prevention coordinator, at email@example.com or 406-457-8970.
- Any local business, private provider, organization, school, government agency, medical facility, club, or group can participate in the Military Strong Challenge. There are two ways to join the movement:
- Either your agency will be referred by another to become Military Strong. If that occurs, the Lewis and Clark Suicide Prevention Coordinator will contact your team.
- OR you can fill out this form and contact firstname.lastname@example.org to nominate yourselves. Just like referred agencies, self-nominating entities can refer others to participate once they onboard.
2. Whether your agency is referred or self-nominated, you will be contacted by the Lewis and Clark Public Health suicide prevention coordinator.
3. Once your organization accepts this challenge and completes the easy onboarding process through this form, the PsychArmor will upload your staff/volunteers to the portal. They will receive an enrollment email and be prompted to log in.
4. When 50 percent of your employees complete the training, your point-of-contact administrator will get a notice of certification and a reminder to refer two organizations if you have not done so already.
5. At the end of each month, the Suicide Prevention Coalition will award each certified organization with a Military Strong window cling, individual stickers for employees, a thank you via Facebook, and inclusion on the coalition and PsychArmor websites.
Learn more about PsychArmor here.